25 Local Volunteer Organizations You Should Know About
Are you bored, and looking for a way to fill your day? Need to build up your resume with some fresh experience (and a few good references)? Graduating from high school (or college) soon, and need some community service hours?
Not sure where to start, or what's good? Looking for something that suits, well, you?
Take a gander at this list of local organizations, and see where you fit in!
1. KSVR 91.7 FM (Skagit Community Radio) - Skagit Valley College
Local college radio. They always need more engineers, DJs, editors, and recording people.
2. Pacific Northwest Trails Association - Sedro-Woolley
Trail restorations, community outreach programs and events, and organized hikes. They always need volunteers to help with their activities.
3. Mountain Stewards - US Forest Service
Government agency that oversees and maintains public forest lands. Their Mountain Steward program is a great way to do some meaningful work, and get some much needed exercise in the mountains at the same time.
4. Habitat For Humanity - Mount Vernon
Organization that helps build homes and shelters and schools around the world, and locally. They always need extra hands at their thrift stores and community projects.
5. KSVU 90/1 FM (Upriver Radio) - Concrete
Concrete's local radio station. News, music, talk shows, job and career help, they do it all. And they need volunteers. Send them an email and join the team today.
6. Skagit Fisheries Enhancement Group - Mount Vernon
Salmon habitat restoration organization. They need help with planting trees, restortion shorelines, and repopulating streams and lakes with native salmon species.
7. Sedro-Woolley Senior Center - Sedro-Woolley
The Sedro-Woolley Senior Center provides entertainment, health, and education services to the senior citizens of Sedro, and outlying areas. They always need an extra hand.
8. Nature Abounds - Anacortes
Local wildernes restoration and education organization. They always need volunteers to contribute time and hands for their projects.
9. Burlington Public Library - Burlington
The Burlington Public Library. They need folks to do storytimes, help out with events, and help with customers.
10. Saving Pets One At A Time - Burlington
Center for adoption and foster programs for pets and abandoned animals. Help save a kitty's life. Foster today.
11. Boys & Girls Clubs Of Skagit County - Mount Vernon
Activities and recreation programs for kids and teens. They always need volunteers at their centers and outreach programs.
12. Sea Mar Community Health Centers - Mount Vernon
Healthcare centers. They always need folks to help out.
13. Skagit Land Trust - Mount Vernon
Organization that helps preserve Skagit farmlands and forest areas. Join and help them in their mission.
14. American Cancer Society - Mount Vernon
American cancer Society. Healthcare organization focused on cancer treatments and mental health. Join today.
15. Wolf Hollow Wildlife Rehabilitation Center - Mount Vernon
Wildlife rehab center. Nurses injured animals back to health and gets them ready for being reintroduced into the wild. Help out now.
16. Anacortes Family Center - Anacortes
Center providing services to women, children, and the homeless. They always need a hand, so help out!
17. Celtic Arts Foundation - Mount Vernon
Foundation dedicated to the preservation and promotion of Celtic culture in the region.
18. The Cat's Meow - Anacortes
Cat adoption and rescue center in Anacortes. Go down today and help take care of the kitties, or take one home!
19. McIntyre Hall Performing Arts & Conference Center - Mount Vernon
Performing arts center at Skagit Valley College. They always need extra ushers, and staff for concerts.
20. Mount Vernon Downtown Association - Mount Vernon
The association that maintains and organizes events for downtown Mount Vernon. They always need extra staff for Art Walks, community events, and cleanup after said events.
21. Mount Baker Planned Parenthood - Mount Vernon
Local chapter of the family planning and women's health center. They always need staff to help patrons.
22. North Cascades Institute - Sedro-Woolley
Information and activity center for the North Cascades Recreation Area. They always need volunteers at their two centers, and for their outings. Get in touch and help them today.
23. Serving Women Across Nations - Burlington
Volunteer organization helping to empower women at home and abroad. They need help spreading their message, and working directly in the communities they serve.
24. Skagit Domestic Violence & Sexual Assault Services - Mount Vernon
Center to help victims of abuse in the area. They always need center volunteers, and counselors. Lend a hand today.
25. Skagit Valley Festival Of Family Farms - Sedro-Woolley
Local festival featuring local farmers and their families 9and lands). They need help during their tours, so this is a good chance to help the people who put food on our tables.